Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What do you think of beauty pageants for little girls?

I remember wanting to be in one when i was little. But my mom didn't want to spend all of the money. My neice wants to do one now, she is 6, and we do have the money for it. Do you think it is a good idea?





She doesn't have any problem with regection at all. She knows that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but it is still fun either way. She has never done anything like this before.





Do you see anything wrong with it?


Have you ever put your kids in pageants?


Did they enjoy it?





Any other info would be great! ThanksWhat do you think of beauty pageants for little girls?
You should consider putting her in an all natural beauty pageant. If you are going to go ahead with this make sure you mix it up with other activities not just a pageant. You never want little girls to put all their self worth on how they look. There is always going to be someone prettier then you out there. Your niece should always know that her self worth isn't based on her external beauty that how she is inside and how she treats others is far more important. Everything in moderation is good I think. If you are going to be a stage Aunt and get hooked your daughter may look for that high in a winning trophy if she places her value on winning and her looks.What do you think of beauty pageants for little girls?
I think that is some bull ****
I was never in pagents when I was little. But when I was a teenager I LOVED them. I thought they were sooo much fun! Just very girly. I do not think there is anything wrong with putting your child in a pagent.. BUT I do think that when they are old enough 4 or 5 or maybe even younger.. that you need to be ASKING that child if they want to do it or not. Kids will tell you if they like something or not. I do think the money you win should be saved for future educational assistance or something of that nature for the CHILD not the parents. If she is wanting to do one.. I say for it. what is the difference in letting your children do pagents than letting your children do sports (competetions) or dance (competetions) Either way it is all a competition and there is a prize to be won.
I have mixed feelings about it. It can be fun on the one hand, but because of the Jonben茅t Ramsey case, it has become a bit creepy, especially when they keep showing footage of her in beauty pageants.





I think that some competitive spirit is good, but the US in general has taken that way too far, because they usually do that at the expense of a society that should be working together. Our political divisions is proof of that.
Little girls should not be concerned with surface beauty. They should be concerned about being good people. It's not how you look, it's how you act, that determines the kind of person you are. The world doesn't need more beauties. It needs more kind, caring people.
I, personally, would never enroll my children in such a pageant. I believe that they give children a negative view of competition. I believe that they also place entirely too much emphasis on ';being perfect'; and physical superiority. It's also incredibly expensive!
I think that it is a bad idea to put that little girl in pageants. I say that because she is a little girl that will soon become a young lady faster than you can see it and its too many sick men and sometimes women who thrive on little beauty girls- you don't want her to be looked upon like a sex thing for any man, especially at that age- its too grown up, the make up and clothes and all of that it brings to much attention and you dont want her going through that kind of life- I had a friend who was a model since she was small, probably younger than your niece, she wanted to everything else, she enjoyed modeling,but it brought her down when she saw what it started requiring as she got older, she had to get thinner and thinner, her weight was never good enough- my friend wanted to do sports, she did both but after awhile it gets tired
I think they are truly utterly horrible. Nothing worse than teaching your child that beauty is only skin deep. Not only that, pageants are wierd and unnatural. I would never ever consider putting my child through that. Ever.
You should have seen the Dr. Phil show a couple of nights ago. I think its just wrong. The mom even bought her daughter false teeth so she could have a straighter whiter smile.
only if the child really wants to participate.


don't push them into something, and if they decide that it isn't for them, don't make them continue.
I think beauty pagents are awesome... my cousin put her almost 1 year old in one just last weekend and she loved it. She had a blst with it. Which she loves getting her picture taken anyways. Thiers winners and losers always remember that. Not everyone can win, but one day she will win. I think it is a great thing, It will get them in to fashion, maybe cheerleading when they get older, and who knows she could become the next Miss America.
U CAN LET HER GO BUT REMEBER SHE DOING IT FOR FUN DONT PRESSURE HERE 2 DO IT
i thin kids shouldn't be dressed up as mini adults. Sad though it is , you don't want anyone thinkning f them in the wrong way. There are loads of other ways to build confidence, dance or music classes for instance.
Absolutely--it builds confidence and teaches them how to be a good sport!
I try to not focus on outer beauty too much.
People ask why we cannot be rid of prejudices, racial hate, widespread depression, religious and cultural intolerance........maybe we should start by banning the parading of our little girls on stage under layers of makeup, competing for the ';who's prettiest'; honor. We need to teach our kids that life is more about what is inside your mind and heart that who looks best on the outside. Until we put our foot down as a society, anorexia will still be on the cover of vogue, our teenage girls will keep getting pregnant, and teen suicide will never stop. It's our responsibility to teach our kids how to love themselves, and showing them like AKC puppies is just not the way.





whew. sorry... long story, but these things make me so mad.
My 9 year old step-daughter wants to do pagents really really bad!! She just wants the attention and all the pretty clothes!! Which is fine, most little girls LOVE to play dress up!





I think that pagents can be big self esteeme builders for young girls! They get to prance around in the pretty girlie dresses and have everyone clap for them...what kid wouldn't love that??





Like you we have been wondering the same thing about my SD...she wants to be in every pagent and fashion show that comes to town!! One of these days we may just let her! I think that she would love it!





I do think that some parents take it way to far!! The angry, mean, perfectionist parents that want their girls to win win win everytime!! There is the real problem!!!





I don't really think that there is much more presure doing pagents then doing dance or gymnastics...they have to practice practice practice and then proform in front of people...not much different in my eyes!!
I think it can be fun and for children the crowds are hopefully always going to be supportive and friendly.





I only get nervous thought of the children possibly being unsupervised when you do not know who is attending the pagent. But as long as the child is supervised, sounds like a great experiance! :)
JonBonet Ramsey comes to mind !
I think beauty pageants are wrong. Beauty pageants are all about the mother and her selfish needs. Why put children through such torture. It is all about living the mothers' dream, unfortunately there are alot of pedophiles out there that love it especially when they see them online. I feel sorry for any child that has to go through a pageant.
i think it's ok as long as the parents don't put too much pressure on their child. let the child know that it's just friendly competition and that if they don't win then there will be other competitions for years to come.
I know 2 girls who did pageants for years and never spent slot of money. They bought dresses at thrift shops and for under $25. They always won because of who they were and not what they owned. So goes to show, personality goes along ways.
The idea is nice but little girls have to learn to handle rejection at an age where they're just building their personalities. Plus they can't be a kid. It depends on the child as well.
i dont think their is a problem with her being in a pageant, let her have fun while shes young
Little girls should not be made up to look like little hookers.
AS long as you don't go overboard, and she is having fun, what's the problem? I did a pageant when I was younger and it was awesome! I had the most fun! You definitely want to make sure you don't get demanding and pushy for practice, etc., but if she likes to get dressed up and you can afford to do it, let her try it out!
Personally, I think it's wrong. Little girls should be just that little girls. They can learn so many more social skills by participating in a sport, a dance class, plays, a music group, just about anything. What does this teach them actually? To wear a ton of make up, wear these little outfits and strut their stuff around a stage like a piece of meat for a bunch of men? And don't think the pressure and all the other children and mothers aren't horrible to deal with. Why does a little girl need this? I think many Mothers do this for their own ego. I think it's terrible. Let children be children. They grow up far too fast as it is. Frankly the videos of these things make me sick. Reminds me of something that child molesters get off on. Yuck!You can't have any real ';talent'; much as a little kid, so then it's all based on your looks or the ability to have looks and have ';moves';. Pathetic. These are not the values we should be teaching little girls. Gee, all I have to do is play sexy and look cute and fix my hair and make up and wear the right clothes, have the moves and men will give me attention. Very very wrong.
Little kids need to be little kids. Why put them through the pressure of practicing and being proper? For a child, It's pretty devasting to go through so much and not come out the winner.
It is up to the child and only if they want to do it
Ok, true story....





I live in a part of Canada where beauty pageants are not paid any attention to, but I can tell you about the experience of a little girl I know.





When she was six she told her mother that she wanted to try modeling. Her mother (who takes excellent care of her body and has posed for several posters, magazines, and newspapers) decided to let her try it. When the girl turned eight she told her mother she wanted to quit. Since her mother didn't want to encourage quitting, she asked her daughter why she wanted to stop modeling. Her response:





';None of the girls there care about their bodies, they just care about how they look.';





She learned a lot by observing people with bad habits. Now, if your niece wants to try pageantry, be sure to point out behaviour you find unacceptable, and don't let the grown ups who care for her get caught up in it. I don't think there's any harm in letting her try it so long as it's for her, and not for anyone else.





Good luck.





--Ginny
i think that peole should keep their chirdren 's beauty to thems selfs see what happebnned to jonbebet ramsey thats what i am talking about poor little girl

No comments:

Post a Comment